Most of us grossly underestimate how much our extended family is going to affect our marriage. Jay walks through a number of ways your childhood home and extended family shape how you walk into your marriage. He lists several situations where extended families impact your marriage throughout the years. And finally he gives a list of questions to help you process and even thrive through your extended family circumstances.
Questions for couples to consider:
- What are the situations we need to address and repent of?
- In which relationships do we need to develop firm boundaries?
- Which circumstances do we simply need to accept as one of the particular crosses that Jesus would have us bear as we serve one another and our family?
- What are the opportunities we see to to build on what we have and grow in fruitfulness as a family?
- If we could dream, and God would help us to be a part of a multigenerational family that he would use to bless the world, in what ways would we like to see that happen?
- Previous episode: Broken Marriages Can Heal with Steve and Lisa Goldberg
- Previous episode: Depression and Anxiety in Marriage and Parenting with Jenny Price
- Article: Myths and Realities of Extended Families
If you find this podcast helpful, you can subscribe and click here to find past topics and free resources. Feel free to share with others, as well! If you would like to help support Let’s Parent on Purpose, you can do so by becoming a patron.
I send a weekly email called “Things for Thursday” and it includes things I’ve found helpful related to parenting, marriage, and sometimes just things I find funny! You can sign up for “Things for Thursday” by joining my newsletter on my homepage.
Thank you for your continued support of this podcast. If you have a prayer request or if you have a topic suggestion or question, please contact me at my email.