Studies have shown that the average teen is in church maybe 50 hours a year, but they get about 3,000 hours a year with their parents. What happens in the home is so impactful on a child’s spiritual life. As a youth minister, I find it so important to connect not just with young people, but to their moms and dads too. That’s how the idea for this podcast started. Now, Let’s Parent on Purpose is on its 200th episode!
Through all the parenting struggles I’ve gone through as a father and a foster father, I’ve learned that the most important thing as a parent is this: believe in the gospel. Believe the gospel in its entirety.
As parents, I want to point you back to the reality that the most important thing in your life is not your bank account or your service at church, or even how well your kids are doing. The most important thing in your life is the reality that Jesus died for your sins and he rose again. Put your faith and trust in Jesus.
Many of us believe that gospel, and know that Jesus died for our sins and when we die He will take us to heaven, but we forget to believe the gospel in the moment as it applies to our daily life.
Believing the gospel in the day to day will radically change your narrative as you walk through any event.
- Romans 8:1 “There is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.” However crappy of a parent you were this week, there is no condemnation for you. God is not sitting in heaven rating your righteousness. Even if you may have failed today in your parenting, ask yourself: How do I think about that in light of the fact that Jesus died and rose again?
- In Romans 8 we also learn that God sends his Holy Spirit to dwell within us. There is nothing that God would require in your life that He is not there and empowering you to do.
- God prays to God for you. You are not alone. God is interceding on your behalf.
- One of the greatest verses in the Bible is Romans 8:28 “And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good.” You can believe that gospel that what ever is happening in your life, if you love God and you belong to Jesus, all of those things will work together for your good.
- Romans 8:29 “For those whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His son in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers.” What does good look like to God? It is for you to be conformed to the image of Jesus. God is working all your victories and trials together to make you more like Jesus.
- “If God is for us, who can be against us?”
When you believe the gospel, it changes how you parent. Because you believe that you are not alone and you are not separated from the love of God.Believe the gospel in its entirety. Click To Tweet
If you find this podcast helpful, you can subscribe and click here to find past topics and free resources. Feel free to share with others, as well! If you would like to help support Let’s Parent on Purpose, you can do so by becoming a patron.
I send a weekly email called “Things for Thursday” and it includes things I’ve found helpful related to parenting, marriage, and sometimes just things I find funny! You can sign up for “Things for Thursday” by joining my newsletter on my homepage.
Thank you for your continued support of this podcast. If you have a prayer request or if you have a topic suggestion or question, please contact me at my email.